Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 00:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        t94303mn@sfc.keio.ac.jp
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, t94303mn@sfc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: How to apply patch distributed in tar.gz format?

 *      I'm porting a program that has patch files distributed in tar.gz
 * format.  So, after extracting the original archive, you after extract
 * patch file from the patch distribution archive to apply it.
 *      Could anyone tell me how to write the Makefile to do such a task?

Make it one of the DISTFILES, set EXTRACT_ONLY to the "real" distfile,
and write a pre-patch target to patch it manually.

Or, you can make pre-patch extract it into ${PATCHDIR} as "patch-*",
so the regular patch target will pick it up.  Don't forget to add a
pre-clean target to delete it.

misc/mmv does something similar (albeit in the extraction phase).

Satoshi