Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:52:36 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>, audit@FreeBSD.org, ache@FreeBSD.org, des@FreeBSD.org, jabley@automagic.org
Subject:   Re: whois(1) new features for review

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 10:42:48AM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:41:11PM -0400, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> > I would appreciate reviews of the following changes I intend to make
> > to whois(1).  If there are no objection I'd like to commit this in two
> > days.
> >
> > Patch also available at:
> > http://people.FreeBSD.org/~mike/patches/whois.20010724.patch

> > whois.20010724.patch
> >
> > o Move APNIC flag from -p to -A.  Since, -p is usually associated
> >   with specifying a port.
>
> Hmm... Looks like you did not exactly that in this patch...
>
> > o Add the -p flag for specifying a port.  (PR: 28790)  This is
> >   useful for querying rwhois servers.  Example:
> >     whois -h rwhois.exodus.net -p 4321 216.136.180.0
> > o Add the -c flag which allows one to get the same whois server
> >   that would normally be determined if no arguments were specified.
> >   (Concept based on work by phantom, requested by ache)  Example:
>
> I think more appropriate is "suggested by: ache". Main idea was adding
> this feature to avoid polluting whois's command line options.
>
> >     whois -c ru TCNET-MNT-RIPN
> > o Deprecate -R flag in favour of -c ru.
>
> Isn't '-R' worth complete removing ? Andrey ? What do you think ?

I'd think 'deprecated' means 'scheduled for complete removal, but let's
not remove it just yet, so we can give people some time; some people
are probably used to typing "whois -R", let's give a meaningful error
message in the meantime'.  I guess it will be removed in the future.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Do you think anybody has ever had *precisely this thought* before?