Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 12:36:44 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Walid Nehme <walidn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:

Walid Nehme wrote:
> Dear sirs.
> I have 3 download satellites and a microwave connection,
> providing internet to a huge number of users.
>
> i want to make shapping for the traffic to control my
> outbound and inbound.
> the problem is that my outbound is 128kbit/s and when there
> are many users chat or send files my network stop working,
> is the overload.

How do you know this is the problem?  If it is, it's likely
that the solution is to increase your outgoing bandwidth.
You can't use software to overcome a hardware problem.

> i read many documents about dummy and couldnt find any
> theory that help me assigning the delay and queue so that
> my network will work smooth, even i couldnt understand what
> delay and queue are used for.

Did you read "man ipfw"?  Read the whole thing, if there is
any 1 part of it that you don't understand, read it again
until you understand the whole thing.  Set up a test network
and experiment with the parts you don't understand.  Traffic
shaping isn't something you learn in an afternoon.  The
examples section should be very helpful.

> my firewall rules are.
>
> ipfw add pipe 1 ip from 10.20.0.0/16 to any out
> ipfw add pipe 2 ip from any to 10.20.0.0/16  in
> ipfw pipe 1 config bw 3 KBytes/s
> ipfw pipe 2 config bw 40 KBytes/s
 >
> And tell me plz how to decide what value should i give
> these options

Experiment.  Or pay big bucks to an expert who has already
calloused their hands figuring this sort of thing out.
It's going to be hard for anyone to even estimate what
values you should be using without a great deal more detail
about your network and the traffic on it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology