Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:58:33 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Subject:   Re: latest -current doesn't execute BSDI-binary bladeenc

>"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> writes:
>> On 17-Mar-99 Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>> >  The bug is on the web site, not in the kernel. David Greenman
>> >  committed a patch to better support large memory configurations.
>> >  Unfortunately, it seems this was not possible to achieve without
>> >  breaking BSDI compatibility.
>> Would it be feasable to have an option to switch between the two?
>
>Probably. I was just about to investigate this possibility.

   If the remaining userland issues are dealt with, then perhaps. It is
currently necessary to rebuild certain utilities after changing this,
however, so making it a simple kernel compile time option isn't sufficient.
   A much better solution would be for someone to spend the time to
implement the needed VM frobbing of modifying, at BSDI binary exec-time,
the ps_strings address constant in the binary's crt0 that is causing the
problem.

-DG

David Greenman