Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:56:02 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: APC backup -UPS howto install.

At 17:16 15/11/2001, Patrick O'Reilly sent this up the stick:
>If I may piggy-back on this thread :)
>
>I need to run UPS daemons on more than one box, but the UPS is connected by
>serial cable to one box only.  The info from "make search key=ups", along
>with a little more digging, reveals that 'nut' is probably the only one of
>these ports that will enable one box to listen to the UPS via the serial
>port, and then broadcast the UPS status info over TCP/IP for other boxes to
>listen and respond to.
>
>Does anyone else have this setup running?

I don't have it running under FreeBSD yet , but apcupsd will do this.  I
have a 900XL connected via Serial to a Linux box, which talks through the
network to a Win2k (shush) box.  apcupsd is in use on FreeBSD by some
members of the apcupsd mailing list, so I know it works.

Another tool that *may* work is NUT, which is in the ports tree
(../sysutils/nut)

Cheers,
Rob

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 251 of a collection of 1185