Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:57:38 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        r-militante@northwestern.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why is php4.3.3rc2 the latest version in ports?

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:19:12PM -0500, r-militante@northwestern.edu wrot=
e:

> pdflib version 4.0.1 is also broken in the latest ports tree.

pdflib version 4.x has been withdrawn for download by the authors.
There's nothing we can do about that.

> many pages on our site were rendered useless, generated error messages,
> etc. because of the broken pdflib support in php4.3.3rc2.  i had to find
> a way to downgrade my version of php back to 4.3.1 from 4.3.3rc2 in order=
=20
> to fix it, which resulted in unhappy users for a couple of hours while i
> figured out how to downgrade...
>=20
> i should have done my research, i admit, before trying to upgrade.  but -=
=20
> why is 4.3.3rc2 - a *release candidate* the latest version of php in the
> ports tree?

You'd have to ask the maintainer, but at a guess the answer might be
"Because the maintainer decided it was worthwhile, on balance, to
update it" (perhaps the upgrade fixed a lot of other bugs that you
have been lucky enough to avoid).  I understand that this experience
caused you a lot of difficulty, but the lesson you should probably
take away from it is:

* Don't perform blind upgrades on live systems without adequate
  testing and a fall-back plan.

Kris

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--