Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:40:02 -0500
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Panic possibly related to glabel/geom and siis(4)

I have a system running 8.0-PRERELEASE with multiple drives and SATA
port multipliers (siis controllers and PMPs).  All of the attached
drives are labeled via glabel(8) and then included into a ZFS pool.
During some testing to determine how the system would react to a dead
drive (simulated by physically removing a drive during operation),  I
was able to produce a panic.

Now, I know that the SATA PMP and siis(4) code to handle and recover
from device errors is incomplete, but I believe the crash may be
particular to using glabel'd drives.  Basically, after removing a drive
while the zpool is in use and issues 'camcontrol reset' and 'rescan' on
the appropriate bus, the physical device associated with the drive
disappears.  In this case:
  (pass5:siisch7:0:15:0): lost device
  (pass5:siisch7:0:15:0): removing device entry
  (ada2:siisch7:0:0:0): lost device

and /dev/ada2 disappears.  However, the associated glabel
/dev/label/bigdisk07 remains.  Since my ZFS pool is created based on the
drive glabels, I believe this is why ZFS never notices the drives
disappear either.

Do glabels typically go away after a physical device is lost?  Should
this not be the case?

After some runtime with the physical device missing, a kernel panic is
produced:

ada2:siisch7:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed
(ada2:siisch7:0:0:0): removing device entry

cpuid = 2; apic id = 14
fault virtual address   = 0x48
fault code              = supervisor write data, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff8035f375
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff800006db60
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff800006db70
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 2 (g_event)
[thread pid 2 tid 100014 ]
Stopped at      _mtx_lock_flags+0x15:   lock cmpxchgq   %rsi,0x18(%rdi)
db> bt
Tracing pid 2 tid 100014 td 0xffffff00014d4ab0
_mtx_lock_flags() at _mtx_lock_flags+0x15
vdev_geom_release() at vdev_geom_release+0x33
vdev_geom_orphan() at vdev_geom_orphan+0x15c
g_run_events() at g_run_events+0x104
g_event_procbody() at g_event_procbody+0x55
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x118
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe
--- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffff800006dd30, rbp = 0 ---

I'm open to try patches and other suggestions.  Thanks.