Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:48:42 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to access SAMBA shares via WIN NT

Hi,

 I am posting this to FreeBSD-Questions in an act of desperation.  I have
setup and configured SAMBA to run on a FreeBSD workstation (FreeBSD 3.4) on
our LAN where I work.  I believe I have /usr/local/etc/smb.conf configured
correctly because when I run "testparm", I get the message "Loaded services
file OK."  My workstation running FreeBSD shows up in the right domain on
our network but when I try to access it, it presents me with a logon.  I've
tried every user name and password that I can think of and nothing works.
I always get the message, "\\Warner_joe9 is not accessible  The account is
not authorized to login to this station."  I thought in order to access a
FreeBSD workstation from WIN NT, the login and password need to be the same
as an existing account on the FreeBSD workstation.  Also, I don't know if
this is important or not but when I do "ps aux | more", I can see nmbd
running but never see smbd running.  I have the proper netbios entries for
smbd and nmbd in my inetd.conf file.  Should the smbd daemon be running?
How come I don't see it?  I've tried starting smbd by issuing the following
as root: /usr/local/sbin/smbd and inetd smbd.  The only one that shows up
when I ps aux | more is inetd smbd but this still doesn't allow me access
from a WIN NT workstation.  I've read every piece of related documentation
I can think of, exp. The Complete FreeBSD, the SAMBA section in Running
Linux, the documentation at http://www.samba.org and the man pages and
still can't get this to work.  Here is what my smb.conf looks like:

[global]
   workgroup = SMS_SLC
   guest account = nobody
   keep alive = 30
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -p%p %j
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no

[homes]
   comment = /home/(name of account on FreeBSD workstation is here)
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

[usr]
   comment = /home/(again..name of FreeBSD account)
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750
   directory = /home/(name of FreeBSD account)

[cdrom]
   comment = FreeBSD CD-ROM
   path = /cdrom
   read only = yes
   locking = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
   public = no
   read only = yes
   create mode = 0700
   directory = /tmp

This is a shortened version of the smb.conf file that I created with Vi.  I
still have the orginal file that I copied as smb.old.  Any help with this
would be greatly appreciated.  I've been struggling with this for 2 weeks
now (trying to find the solution on my own) and I'm just spinning my
wheels.  Thanks.  Joe