Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for major number for Mylex RAID controller

> > > Is this like the Mylex RAID controller(s) that the CAM code supports?
> >
> > Aehm, if I look into the README of CAM, it talks about the Mylex/Buslogic
> > controllers, which are not raid controllers. The DAC-960 is a hardware
> > level raid controller with 1 to 5 SCSI channels (5 only on EISA) with an
> > Intel i960 CPU.
>
> So "no", right?

"No" is correct. CAM supports the Buslogic BT-54x, BT-445x, BT-74x, BT-75x,
BT-94x and BT-95x, which are now just owned by Mylex.

> I presume that your driver exports a control interface, hence the need
> for a major number, correct?

The driver gives an interface to the system drives, which are basicly block
devices. Additional SCSI devices like tapes and cdrom will be handled via
the normal SCSI interface. As far I know Unix, I will need a major number
for this, as the system drives itself are not "SCSI" drives from a host
computer stand, but block devices.

Ulf.