Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:31:42 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ray Seals <rseals@vdsi.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Securing the FreeBSD Console by removing OS Version

--adJ1OR3c6QgCpb/j

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:44:14PM -0500, Ray Seals wrote:
> I don't want the console to display the OS version number.  I have
> removed the %h variable from gettytab for my remote login users.  Where
> can I remove this info from the Console screen?

Edit /etc/motd ?

If you've got an /etc/issue file (or whatever the if property in
gettytab(5) is set to), that will be displayed before the login
prompt, and it gets the same sort of % expansion as done for the im
(initial banner message) or lm (login prompt) properties.  See also
/etc/login.conf where the 'welcome' property can be changes to point
to a different file than /etc/motd

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20