Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:15:36 -0700
From:      Neil <neshort@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XKB keymap

Well, here's the solution, although I don't know why it is necessary or
how the misplacement came to be:

rename the directory: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
copy the directory: /etc/X11/xkb to /usr/X11R6/lib/

This solution was discovered by a user:
Pierre Caruel (caruel@supaero.fr)

Is this something that needs to be fixed? It seems to be a common
problem as the problem seems to be posted all over the Internet, but
there seems to be no solutions.

Neil wrote:

> Let's put it another way: The man page on setxkbmap says:
> "An XKB keymap is constructed from a number of components which are
> compiled only as needed."
>
> How does one go about making sure they are compiled and/or installed?
>

> Neil wrote:
>
>> Here's a followup: Starting XFree86, I have this line:
>> Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap.
>>
>> Does this help?
>>
>> Neil wrote:
>>
>>> In XFree86-4.1.0_6 (installed from the FreeBSD 4.4 release CD.)
>>> Here is the (xterm) readout:
>>>

>>> $ setxkbmap us
>>> Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
>>> Use defaults: rules - 'xfree86' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
>>> setxkbmap in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
>>> Couldn't find rules file (xfree86)
>>> $
>>>
>>> I cannot figure out how to change the keyboard layout in XFree86
>>>
>>> other XFree commands work fine, like "xset."
>>>
>>> Here is some relevant background:
>>>
>>> A week or so ago, I installed FreeBSD 4.4 from the exact same CDs
>>> onto this exact same computer and used the exact same XF86Config
>>> file. The "setxkbmap" feature worked just fine.
>>>
>>> Since I couldn't get the sound to work as well as it had on FreeBSD
>>> 4.3 release, I dicided to reinstall.
>>>
>>> The only difference I can think I made on the second install is the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> FIRST INSTALL:
>>> I set the console keymap to US-Dvorak during the install, and I
>>> installed XFree86-4.1.0_6 in the same session.
>>>
>>>         recall that setxkbmap worked in this install
>>>
>>> SECOND INSTALL:
>>> I set the console keymap to US-Dvorak during the install - as before;
>>> but I installed XFree86-4.1.0_6 off the cd after I rebooted.
>>>
>>>         recall that setxkbmap does not work in this install.
>>>

>>> current probably relevant packages:
>>> $ pkg_info|grep X11
>>> XFree86-4.1.0_6     X11R6.4/XFree86 core distribution (complete)
>>> blackbox-0.61.1     A small and fast window manager for X11R6
>>> gtk-1.2.10_2        Gimp Toolkit for X11 GUI
>>> kdebase-2.2_2       Base modules for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
>>> kdegames-2.2        Games for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
>>> kdegraphics-2.2     Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
>>> kdemultimedia-2.2   Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
>>> kdeutils-2.2        Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
>>> open-motif-2.1.30_1 Motif X11 Toolkit (industry standard GUI (IEEE
>>> 1295))
>>> xv-3.10a_2          An X11 program that displays images of various