Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:20:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Gerardo Amaya G." <jogegabsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   summary

Hello all!
After I submit my question to the mailing list, I
start to deal with my problem with other people
directly by mail, so in order for other people in the
list to address the problem easier, I'm now sending to
this
list the summary of the configuration of APM and sound
in my laptop. Hope to be useful.

Mail 1:
Sender Gerardo Amaya(me){jogegabsd@yahoo.com}

Hi all I have an armada m300. I forgot about APM
during my reinstalation process so now when I try to
launch the apm I get the message:

apm: can't open /dev/apm: Device not configured

in the dmesg I have

chip1: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller>
port 0x4000-0x400f at device
7.3 on pci0

HOw can I configure apm?
Is this the device for APM?

Also from dmesg I get the following info about sound

chip2: <ESS Technology Maestro 2E Audio controller>
port 0x3400-0x34ff irq 11 at
 device 8.0 on pci0

I try to run mpg123 and i get

Can't open /dev/dsp!

I also try with /dev/sound but no success

HOw can I make the sound work

Thank you

Mail 2:
sender: Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>

Gerardo,

Someone else can probably give you more details on
your sound chip; but
you could also look at various modules in /modules and
load the right
one at boot time.

Did you go to /dev and do

./MAKEDEV snd0

already?

Greg

Mail 3:
sender:  Sam Thomas <sthomas@lart.net>

device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 #
Advanced Power
Management

in your kernel config and re-compile

add
device          pcm

to your kernel config, and recompile. make sure pnp os
is "off" in your
bios,
and then

#cd /dev
#./MAKEDEV snd0

--
Sam Thomas
Geek Mercenary

mail 4:
sender:  Sam Thomas <sthomas@lart.net>
try adding

apm_enable="YES"
apmd_enable="YES"

to /etc/rc.conf and reboot.

By this time sound was working, but APM doesn't, I
recompile again and send the result.
and this was the solution to the APM problem.

mail 5:
sender: me
HEllo all again. I got my sound running with no
problem. Now with APM I recompile my kernel with the

device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 #
Advanced Power Management

and I still got the same error

/dev/apm device not configured

I also try to run the apmd and it tells me that the
/dev/apmctl is also not configured

I don't know what could be the problem.

Mail 6:
sender: David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>

The problem is that you specifically requested that
APM be "disabled"
--
note the "disable" word in the "device apm0" line.

Cheers,
david

Problem solved.
I hope this information help someone, as it help me.

see you

Gerardo Amaya

P.S. also thanx to Pedro Miguel F. Custodio <pecus@netvisao.pt>.