Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 17:13:59 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Erin" <Kahn@deadbbs.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Paging

I work for Siemens Building Technologies in South Florida (yes, I'm
aware you said SouthWest). We use the Nextel units for our 100+ member
branch. The service we subscribe to includes radio, alpha paging and
cellular service. I haven't been able to find a non-M$ paging app yet,
but if you go to http://page.nextel.com you can page any Nextel user
(who subscribes to the paging service) with your favorite web browser.
All you need to know is the person's 10 digit number (Area Code +
Phone #). Here, our local call range extends statewide. AFAIK, Nextel
is nationwide. You might want to research where they have towers/range
in your area. In the SouthWest US, the range kicks ass. I've even seen
their cell towers up in the mountains of Georgia and Tennessee where
there's no large cities nearby.
-Otter