Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:53:41 -0400
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   First time Vinum user.  Setup problems

This is the first time I have tried to do anything with Vinum.
This is on a 4.7-RELEASE machine.
I'm doing a "minimal" installation over the Internet using the two
floppy disk install method.

I have several IDE volumes that I am trying to concatenate.
After I complete the install I'm editing rc.conf to add the Vinum
startup command.

At boot, I get the following:
vinum: loaded
vinum: /dev is mounted read-only  not rebuilding /dev/vinum
Can't open /dev/vinum/Control read only file system

When I look at fstab, "/" indicates it should be read/write.
(shamed look because I have been working on the mainframe too long) I
can't remember what the command is to display the mount attributes in
FreeBSD to see if "/" is really mounted read-only.

If I enter vinum from root after the boot is complete, it prompts me
with "vinum ->" so I'm pretty sure the klm is loaded.

I get some other errors when I try to use the simplified method of
creating a 3 disk concatenation.  I suspect my symptoms will change once
  I figure out the /dev messages.

Questions:
Anybody seen symptoms like this?  If so, how do I get around them?

A more basic question.  Are IDE drives supported by Vinum?  The examples
I have found use SCSI drives.  When I was searching the questions
archive I did see some Q&A items that had "ad" drives.  I just want to
make sure this is even possible with my drives.

Please CC me on any replies.  I'm not currently subscribed to
FreeBSD-Questions.

Thanks for any help anybody can offer.