Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:49:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

>> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:02:18 +0930 (CST), Michael Smith
>> <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> said:

    MS> Peter Mutsaers stands accused of saying:

    me> Do these really warrant that perl4 (in the future perl5, which
    me> is much bigger?)  is part of the base OS?

    MS> The justification for having tools like perl and Tcl in the
    MS> base system is their fundamental utility, not their necessity
    MS> as interpreters for other parts.

    MS> Is 'bc' used by anything else, for example?  Yet it's a useful
    MS> thing to have.  So is perl, so is Tcl, so are a number of
    MS> other things.

But bc, like sh, awk etc. are part of standard Unix (Posix) and thus
can expected to be everywhere.

Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |      Memento Mori
plm@xs4all.nl        |  the Netherlands    |