Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 09:27:56 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AW: Bootable CD IV

Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com> types:
> Yeah, i agree with Axexander!  Why can't we all get together and make like
> a picoBSD-release that specifically does disaster recovery, then provide
> an ISO on and FTP server somewhere for all to download.  I would hate to
> see all my research go to waste!  Especially the research of all who are
> helping me with this!
>
> I just need it to boot and ask for the last tape, and ask how you want to
> restore (interactive, or all)....  Other people might want the option of
> using amanda disaster recovery from a tape and hold the curinfo on a
> floppy or something (or maybe at the beginning of the tape?).  Others may
> want to use flexbackup.  The possibilities are endless!

I think you just pegged why it isn't done - the possibilities are
endless. Which means the space required to handle them all
automatically is, um, rather large. If you're willing to require the
users to know a little bit about what's going on, then the second CD
in the release set is close to what you want.

Rather than providing a single ISO image, a tool for building a
recover CD would be more generally useful. The hard part - as you've
found - is building the bootable CD. Scripting the recovery process
once you've booted the system should be straightforward, but needs to
be tailored to each individual installation. A tool that makes it easy
to build a bootable disk that starts the custom recovery script would
be more generally useful than a disk that tried to handle every
possible case. If you really want to do that, you can provide scripts
for those cases - or even a single large script that you've put on an
ISO image.

	<mike