Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:56:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tim Welch" <twelch@thepentagon.org>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Preferences slow to appear

  With almost any GNOME application, opening the preferences window seems
to take around 80-90% cpu (from gkrellm) and freeze GNOME for
approximately 2-3 seconds on my machine. Everything from gnome-weather
to xchat does it. There are no strange themes or other oddities about my
setup. I've tried a clean user as well.
  I also notice a distinct pause whenever rhythmbox changes tracks. It
lags the mouse cursor and any video output (i.e.. moving a window while
the track is changing will blur that window, then reappear normally
after rhythmbox is done).
  What could possibly cause these? Some slowness with whatever library
reads gconf is all I can think of for the preferences problem, but what
about rhythmbox?

System Stats: P4 2.8Ghz HT, 2GB ram, SATA drives on an intel 875 chipset
Freebsd 6.1-STABLE from ~ July 23, 2006
Latest ports as of Aug. 1st

-Tim