Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:12:43 -0400
From:      Joe Maloney <jmaloney@ixsystems.com>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Kris Moore <kris@ixsystems.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, =?utf-8?Q?Goran_Meki=C4=87?= <meka@tilda.center>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org, freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Subject:   Re: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

With CFT version you chose to build, and package individual components =
such as sendmail with a port option.  That does entirely solve the =
problem of being able to reinstall sendmail after the fact without a =
rebuild of the userland (base) port but perhaps base flavors could solve =
that problem assuming flavors could extend beyond python.

Joe Maloney
Quality Engineering Manager / iXsystems
Enterprise Storage & Servers Driven By Open Source

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> In message <201904291441.x3TEfMid072751@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "Rodney W.=20=

> Grimes"
> writes:
>>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:09 AM Rodney W. Grimes <
>>> freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Sorry, I disagree.
>> Which is fine.
>>=20
>>> This pkg base is independent of the ZFS tool we're using
>>> to wrangle boot-environments. Hence why it wasn't mentioned in the =
CFT.
>>> These base packages work the same as existing in-tree pkg base on =
UFS, no
>>> difference. If anything are probably safer due to being able to =
update all
>>> of userland in single extract operation, so you don't have out of =
order
>>> extraction of libc or some such.
>>=20
>> You missed the major string change and focused on the edge,
>> No comment on calling iXsystems :stuff: FreeBSD instead of =
FreeNAS/TrueOS?
>>=20
>> That was the major point of my statement, your miss leading the user
>> community, you yourself said this would never be imported into =
FreeBSD
>> base, so I see no reason that it should be called "FreeBSD package =
Base",
>> as it is not, that is a different project.
>=20
> Taking the last comment on this thread to ask a question and maybe=20
> refocus a little.
>=20
> The discussion about granularity begs the question, why pkgbase in the=20=

> first place? My impression was that it allowed people to select which=20=

> components they wanted to either create a lean installation or mix and=20=

> match base packages and ports (possibly with flavours to install in=20
> /usr rather than $LOCALBASE) such that maybe person A wanted a stock=20=

> install while person B wanted to replace, picking a random example, =
BSD=20