Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:03:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Eric Chet <ec0@s1.GANet.NET>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@isds.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960323-SNAP: ibcs2 panic

> I'm managing to reliably crash a 486sx25 by running WP6.0 for SCO.
> I'm running the 2.2-960323-SNAP.
>
> When running a kernel built with the 'normal' fp emulator, many ibcs2
> & linux programs (like xwp & executor) die with some sort of math
> error (I get messages like: Unknown math-insns: 001f:005b8ffb 038d).
> So as a work around for this, I built a kernel with GPL_MATH_EMULATE
> in place of MATH_EMULATE.  This makes executor work, but xwp panics.
> I don't think the gpl math emulator is directly responsible for the
> problem because I managed to panic the machine in a similar way
> running another WP60 program.

Hello
	You get a lot farther than I do.  I get as far in the installation
as answering all the questions and clicking the install button.  The system
just panics.  My system is a ASUS-SP3G, AMD-5x86/133(it also burns with my
i486 dx2/66), dirty tag on L2 cache.  ktrace does not give me anything, DDB
does not save the core it just burns.  Does anybody know what I can try next?
I'm running -current 3-24-96.

gargoyle /kernel: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
gargoyle /kernel: fault virtual address = 0x0
gargoyle /kernel: fault code            = supervisor write, protection
violation
gargoyle /kernel: instruction pointer   = 0x8:0x1
gargoyle /kernel: code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
gargoyle /kernel:                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
gargoyle /kernel: processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
gargoyle /kernel: current process       = 1421 (xwpinstall)
gargoyle /kernel: interrupt mask                =
gargoyle /kernel: panic: page fault

Eric J. Chet (ejc@nasvr1.cb.att.com || ec0@ganet.net)
Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs Innovations
Columbus, Ohio 43213  RM 1E222