Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:40:35 -0400
From:      "Gerrit Nagelhout" <gnagelhout@sandvine.com>
To:        "Robert Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>, <current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 5.3 Bridge performance take II

Robert Watson wrote:
>=20
> Right now, though, the greatest obstacle in my immediate path=20
> appears to
> be a bug in the current version of the if_em driver that causes the
> interfaces on my test box to wedge under even moderate load. =20
> The if_em
> cards I have on other machines seem not to do this, which suggests a
> driver weirdness with this particular version of the chipset/card.  Go
> figure...
>=20

You may want to check the version of the chipset on that card.  There =
are
definitely older em cards out there which require some special =
alignments
on the transmitter side to avoid hangs.  If I remember correctly, the=20
linux driver on the Intel web site has a workaround for this that is not
in the FreeBSD driver.  The problem is that the workaround for this=20
involves splitting mbufs if the alignment isn't correct, and this is =
quite
expensive.

Gerrit