Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:06:04 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Darko <kdarko@unet.com.mk>
Subject:   Re: Apache

Darko <kdarko@unet.com.mk> types:

> I downloaded apache-1.3.22_1.tgz and tried to install it with pkg_add.
> After this I'm tyring to start the apache web server and here is
> what I get:
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: shared object "libc.so.5" not found
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

It looks like you downloaded a tarball for -current, and not -stable.

> but I have the file here:
> /usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/  (size 699,832)
> so why this occurs?

Because that's the Linux version of libc, and will only be used by
programs running in Linux emulation mode.

> I installed yesterday apache-1.3.20 w/o problems using pkg_add,
> and previously with unpacking & compiling,but apache-1.3.22_1 seems
> to have problem? I'm running FreeBSD 4.3.

You need to get the 1.3.22 package for 4.3, or at least -stable, not
for -current.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.