Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 19:09:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@smarter.than.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem building ssh

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:

> Attempting to build ssh under -CURRENT (a.out, headers and libs CVSup'd
> and built today) yields:
>
> cc -pipe -L/usr/local/lib -o ssh ssh.o sshconnect.o log-client.o \
> readconf.o hostfile.o readpass.o  tildexpand.o clientloop.o canohost.o \
> idea.o  rsa.o randoms.o md5.o buffer.o emulate.o packet.o compress.o \
> xmalloc.o ttymodes.o newchannels.o bufaux.o authfd.o authfile.o  crc32.o \
> rsaglue.o cipher.o des.o match.o arcfour.o mpaux.o  userfile.o signals.o \
> blowfish.o deattack.o   -L/usr/lib -lgmp -L/usr/lib -lz -lwrap -lcrypt \
> -L/usr/local/lib  -lutil
> sshconnect.o: Undefined symbol `___inet_addr' referenced from text segment

Here, the problem's obvious.  ssh was one of those ports sadly confused
by FreeBSD-current's usr of /usr/lib and /usr/lib/aout.  It keeps on
looking in /usr/lib for libc, even if your ldconfig has it in
/usr/lib/aout.  I don't know if you're running aout or elf, but that's
the problem.  Back when I was running aout, I just copied the libc from
/usrlib/aout to /usr/lib, did the linking on the port, and removed the
/usr/lib version of libc.  Now, it'd depend on if you'd moved to elf,
and how you wanted it built, etc, but you get the idea?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).