Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:17:07 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS and SAMBA on RELENG_5 vs RELENG_4

Has anyone looked at the performance of a UP* system on RELENG_4 vs
RELENG_5 as an NFS and SAMBA server ?  I need to deploy such a box and was
wondering if someone has run through this exercise recently** ?

I know quite often when the ugly asterisk laden word "benchmark" comes up
the rush of groans is deafening. But if you dont use benchmarking programs
as _part_ of the evaluation process, how do you determine what will perform
best for you ?

         ---Mike
*Its not of interest to me if SMP makes a difference. The hardware is UP.
**I found some discussions from Oct / Nov of 2004, but that was related
more to a bug in the em driver affecting RELENG_5 network performance

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike