Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:49:43 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        standards@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: add widely accepted _ISOC99_SOURCE

Andrey A. Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru> writes:
> Hm, I don't quite understand, which one part you mean? My patch handles
> 2 following cases:
>
> 1) Any _POSIX_C_SOURCE with _ISOC99_SOURCE. It is from real life example
> (ImageMagick). It wants lower POSIX level, *but* wants _ISOC99_SOURCE in
> the same time.

I don't like this at all.  The meaning of _ANSI_SOURCE is that the
source is exclusively written in C89 with no BSD, POSIX, or XSI
extentions.  Similarly, I was intending _C99_SOURCE to be used without
any POSIX.  Programs looking for C99+POSIX functions should specify
POSIX.1-2001, which incorporates both of these.

> 2) _ISOC99_SOURCE without any _POSIX_C_SOURCE. In that case it overrides
> _ANSI_SOURCE like old _C99_SOURCE does.

Yes, _ANSI_SOURCE and any other standard constant are mutually
exclusive.  Defining _C99_SOURCE or _ANSI_SOURCE with some other
standard constant results in unspecified behaviour.  I'd like to keep
things this way if you're going to rename _C99_SOURCE.

Best regards,
Mike BArcroft