Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 1995 18:33:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-hackers)
Subject:   Re: The routes from hell

Ollivier ROBERT writes:

> > It will go away precisely four hours after the last close.  You can
> > adjust this timeout using the command:
>
> Route cloning is fine except in one case : you have an IP provider
> with non-fixed addresses and a PPP link... The pppd will put a default
> route, the route code will learn the routes. You disconnect.
> You connect again at a latter time and you don't have the same address.
>
> The route are out and I have either to put a low timeout or nuke the routes
> manually...

Or you have two ppp links.   ppp0 to the world and ppp1 to a small net.
Both links drop out and the one to the world comes back last.  The
world is now on ppp1 the routes say to use ppp0.

The minimum timeout appears to be 10 minutes.

#define RTQ_TIMEOUT	60	/* run once a minute */
int rtq_timeout = RTQ_TIMEOUT;
	arg.found = arg.killed = 0;
	arg.rnh = rnh;
	arg.nextstop = time.tv_sec + 10*rtq_timeout;
				    ^^^^^^
	arg.draining = 0;

--
John Capo       jc@irbs.com