Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:00:22 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        jp@devnull.cz
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass panic (after detaching/attaching card-reader 3 times)

Jan Pechanec (jp@devnull.cz) wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Holger Kipp wrote:
>
>>I experience a very repeatably but unwanted behaviour with umass/usb:
>>
>>System hangs/panics after detaching and attaching 8-in-1 Card Reader
>>several times. Card Reader is attached to Cypress Semiconductor Slim
>>Hub (ie not directly), but using the built-in hub give the same
>>results.

>we have similar experince with some of our new boxes based on
>Via chipset. It seems to me that the attached device is innocent (same
>errors as yours - uhub port errors, umass detached, umass BBB reset
>failed etc.) and that the problem is somewhere on Via's side. We are
>still analysing the problem - but did you get any further since then?

Unfortunately not - I was still 'waiting' for someone who deals with
usb/umass to shed some light on the issue or asking the right questions.

(What is worse is that I don't have the time to look into this right now.)

The interesting thing is that umass detach seems to happen during
the BBB-whatever-cycle such that the systems seems to end up using invalid
nullpointers. This imho should never happen.

>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin /kernel: umass0: at uhub2 port 4 (addr 3) disconnected
>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin /kernel: umass0: detached
>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin /kernel: (null): BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, CANCELLED
>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin /kernel: umass-sim:0:0:0:func_code 0x0901: Invalid target
(target needed)
>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin last message repeated 2 times
>Mar 6 20:43:41 katrin /kernel: panic: (null): Unknown state 0

Unfortunately I don't have enough resources to test this with CURRENT. I am also
waiting for MFC of umass which might fix a few things.

Regards,
Holger Kipp