Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:38:07 +1300
From:      David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhcpd and naming (warning, ranty).

OK, this is insanity.

We have a dhcp server (I'm using isc-dhcp2) and it works, as best I can
tell, well. At least with a win2k client.

Rant 1 is probably easy. I can't make dhclient send the host name. For
instance, I have in /etc/dhclient.conf

	interface "dc0" {
	  send host-name "cvs"
	}

Which should send the hostname over, yes? Why exactly this doesn't use
gethostname(3) eludes me completely. So, what do I have in
/var/db/dhcpd.leases?

	lease 192.168.0.2 {
        	 starts 3 1994/03/09 02:06:21;
        	 ends 3 1994/03/09 14:06:21;
        	 hardware ethernet 00:80:ad:72:7b:cf;
	}
	lease 192.168.0.6 {
	        starts 3 1994/03/09 01:51:09;
	        ends 3 1994/03/09 13:51:09;
	        hardware ethernet 00:d0:b7:4d:8e:a7;
	        uid 01:00:d0:b7:4d:8e:a7;
	        client-hostname "duron700";
	}

Which in my case represents a working Win2k client on .6 and the half
working BSD one on .2

Hmmmmm.

So, it strikes me that since dhclient has no problem writing to
/etc/resolv.conf, that a similar effort should happen with /etc/hosts on
the server, right? No. So what does it do with the names? Beats me, I did
see some reference on the web to "writing a perl script to..", but assumed
it must have been a practical joke since this is such an OBVIOUS task to
have to do.

Unix naming is just too diffcult. Well, it is. I want to be able to type
"ping cvs" from the windows box and I can't because named on the gateway
has no idea what I'm talking about. God, I have to get bind going to be
able to resolve names for machines that are next to each other? BIND??
There are whole books on bind. People go on training courses for it. It's
the #1 posessor of security holes, I don't want that running - I like to sleep.

So, let's try running Samba to get nmb naming up. But, of course, it won't
because (from /var/log/log.nmb)

	[2001/03/09 16:17:48, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(824)
	  Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host cvs

Of course, silly me. So I have to add cvs to the local hosts file in order
to get this going? Which assumes it has a static IP?

So, in essence it doesn't work, does it? As a consistent - simple plan that
holds together it's a no flyer. It strikes me that perhaps the only way to
do this is to put all the unix resources on static IP's and have hosts
files kicking around all over the place..... Or try and get a solution
together myself and attempt to get it accepted through the defeaning chants
of "It always works for us", "It's easy really", "There's nothing wrong
with the existing one" etc. etc.

Ah, fuckit. I have to hand one to the Windows weenies - here we have
another task that is just too difficult to be even remotely pratical on
Unix: naming on a Lan. Too depressing for words.

Dave :(