Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:07:15 +0000
From:      Doug Kirk <dbkirk@gmail.com>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>, Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Hi Bob,

To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.

Then, the instructions at (
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki#installing-required-userland-components)
will tell you how to get the updated X server installed.

One thing to note that's not really stated anywhere is that you need to
load the i915kms driver in rc.conf, not from the boot loader, as it's not
ready for boot-time loading yet (last I worked with it, last month).
Boot-time loading results in a panic.

The only other problem I faced was a missing/changed function in a shared
library that `pkg` relies on. Using `pkg-static` to install packages worked
around that.

Cheers!
-doug