Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:34:58 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>, jerryr@ComCAT.COM, TFK2000@aol.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Blocked

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@visi.com> wrote:

>I find that hard to believe.  I would think they would get sued if that was
>the case.  Besides, it would be a horrible nightmare for AOL to try to
>maintain a list of ISP's and then set up such a filter.  If they are doing
>something so malicious, I would be really surprised.  What is the evidence
>of such an accusation.
>
>I would be careful saying such things in public about a big company like
>AOL.

    Having worked there, I think I can safely speak my mind.  Suffice it
to say that many of their tech support staff are totally bloody clueless,
a fact I know quite well because my fiancée has kept her AOL account, and
when there have been problems I've tried to convince the dufuses on the
other end that I *do* actually know something about what I'm talking
about, and I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

    I am quite familiar with the squid-based web caching system they used
to have, but now that they're using Inktomi Traffic Server, I'm not
exactly sure how they do things.  I *do* know that they used to keep a
list of sites that they would not cache, usually as a strong
discouragement for AOL customers to go visit that site (and because of
the size of the AOL cache, this usually gave the maintainers of that site
*strong* encouragement to stop doing whatever it was that AOL didn't
like, because otherwise they got *buried* with too many non-cached web
requests from them.

    I'm sure they've got something similar with Inktomi, and probably
also have a system-wide list of flat-out banned sites.  I also know that
they have NetNanny (or some other blocking software) that is installed by
default, although I believe that you can turn it off.

    However, if you're having problems accessing a particular web site,
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it's simply a matter of AOL's system
being screwed up yet once again, and since they rotate which cache server
you're attached to every five minutes, just wait a little while and try again.

>PS  I am no fan of AOL.

    Most of the technical people (and especially the system
administrators) who work there are pretty cool.  I've got several friends
who continue to work there.  I just had a real problem with the
management and the way that they did certain business deals, and I never
could abide a company that has six thousand employees, of which five
thousand are just there to answer the telephone when a user has a problem.

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
    <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;