Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:03:59 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't figure out an one-liner

--wmfuW8osuO2pi9jF

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:36:30PM +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hello!
>=20
> I have a directory structure like this
>=20
> /home
> 	/joe
> 	/peter
> 	/bill
> 	... etc
>=20
> I'm trying to move some (but not all) subdirectories of /home to=20
> /newhome, using tar. I'm doing this as root on FreeBSD 4.10, the shell=20
> is csh. I'd like to get it done with one command line.
>=20
> I'm trying variations of this command
>=20
> # pwd
> /newhome
>=20
> # for luser in 'joe peter bill'  { tar cf - -C /home $luser | tar xf - }
>=20
> ... but I keep getting error messages that luser is undefined.
>=20
> What am I doing wrong?

Are /home and /newhome on different filesystems?  What wrong with a
simple mv?  For example:

# mv joe peter bill /newhome

If the directories are on the same filesystem the move won't require
anything but some shuffling of metadata and will happen pretty much
instantaneously.

Nathan

--wmfuW8osuO2pi9jF

--wmfuW8osuO2pi9jF--