Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:08:02 -0500
From:      Ben Williams <benwilliams@instantemail.net>
To:        FreeBSD Quastions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   make world fails in libiberty

I have 2 "identical" (hardware-wise) boxes I'm trying to get "current"
with STABLE. They're AMD Athlon 700mhz machines w/ 128mb & 256mb of
RAM. Both are dying in a buildworld with:

---------- begin buildworld dies ----------
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libiberty/../../../../contrib/binutils/libiberty/choose-temp.c: In function `choose_temp_base':
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libiberty/../../../../contrib/binutils/libiberty/choose-temp.c:68: warning: implicit declaration of function `mktemp'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libiberty.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
---------- end buildworld dies ----------

My /etc/make.conf contains:
---------- begin /etc/make.conf ----------
CPUTYPE=i686
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
WARNS_WERROR=   yes

NO_CVS= true    # do not build CVS
NO_BIND=        true    # do not build BIND
NO_FORTRAN=     true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
NO_I4B= true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_LPR= true    # do not build lpr and related programs
NO_SENDMAIL=    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
NO_X=           true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g. doscmd)
NOGAMES=        true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
NOPROFILE=      true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
NOUUCP= true    # do not build uucp related programs
WANT_OPENSSL_MANPAGES=  true
MAKE_IDEA=      YES     # IDEA (128 bit symmetric encryption)
COMPAT22=       yes
COMPAT3X=       yes
COMPAT4X=       yes
BOOTWAIT=0
USA_RESIDENT=           YES
SUP_UPDATE=     yes
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
SUPHOST=        cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /usr/local/etc/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/local/etc/doc-supfile
DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1
---------- end /etc/make.conf ----------

All I have done to the boxes in question is
  installed the OS,
  set up networking,
  installed some packages/ports I'll be needing on them when they're functional
  copied /usr/share/examples/(doc|ports|stable)-supfile to /usr/local/etc
  edited said supfiles to point to a mirror close to me (cvsup2)
  cp /etc/defaults/make.conf /etc/make.conf
  edited /etc/make.conf to reflect my situation
  cd /usr/src
  make update
  make buildworld

  I have read UPDATING, updated the sources, searched the list archives, I have
rm -rf /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/, re-updated and always the error
you see above. Why doesn't libiberty like me? What am I doing wrong?

--
Ben                          mailto:benwilliams@instantemail.net