Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:29:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <crouilla@ucsd.edu>
To:        sjm@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cablemodem with freebsd

> I am new to BSD and I am trying to get my cable modem(@home network)
> running under it, I compiled my kernel for network support, and had no
> problems, but I don't know where to go from here, can someone please
> help?
>
> -Scott

This configuration is *very* straight-forward.  Unlike RoadRunner users,
you don't have a 'login' issue to deal with.  However, you may or may not
have a static IP with @home.  If you *do* have a dynamic IP address, then
you'll need a DHCP *client*.  There is an ISC version in the ports
collection but I prefer to fetch my own(www.isc.org).

In general, you will want to:
1. Build BSD box as you *seem* to have done.
2. Get your DHCP client up and running(if you need it).
3. Fix any admin details like resolv.conf

Don't forget, get all the @home connection info *before* you start
(eg nameserver IP, your IP address if static, etc...).

-Chuck