Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:32:42 +0100
From:      "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: restore question

Jack L. Stone wrote,

> Hard disks, at least IDEs are really inexpensive. Why not just keep a
> second or third HD on your machine(s) to do backups.....??

Environmental hazard... like fire e.g. or the server motherboard burns out,
water damage, etc...
I can take tapes to another location. I do not have the money to afford a
hot-site :>

Don't want my backups near something like this:
http://www.radecom.nl/images/Fire.jpg

Like the bible of backup/recovery says (Unix backup & recovery -- by Curtis
Preston):

1. Define (un)acceptable loss
2. Back up everything
3. Organize your backups
--> 4. Protect against disasters
5. Document
6. test,test,test

> Tape is traditional, but slow and never as up to date as my backup HDs
> which I keep on each server. Also, move a copy of the dump files to a
> server that just holds backups for other machines.... then I can always
> restore to any HD of choice just in case of extreme breakdown (a crash in
> middle of a backup/restore to the backup HD for instance). Again, I can be
> back up and running within minutes, even with a substitute server. I have
> Internet connection cable already running over for standby on an emergency
> server just in case. All I have to do is restore on the slave backup
> machine... then take the HD to the backup server... plug in the cable and
> voila! ...up and running with very little loss of time or data.

A NAS/SAN solution is nice but what about archiving? Archiving on hard-disks
is a bit expensive for me.
most of the time, NAS/SAN solutions also need tapes for achiving
(http://www.nas-san.com/differ.html).

For disk-cloning a Hdd would be a good solution.

---

R.J. Zoontjens

    ____            __
   / __ \____ _____/ /_/  _________  ____ ___

Dit bericht kan vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Indien u niet de
geadresseerde van dit bericht bent, verzoeken wij u dit bericht te
vernietigen zonder van de inhoud kennis te nemen en de inhoud ervan niet te
gebruiken, niet te kopieren en niet onder derden te verspreiden.

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If
you are not the named addressee of this message please destroy it without
reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other person.