Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:02:46 -0800
From:      "John Barbee" <jbarbee@singular.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sharity and NFS

Hi,

	I'm trying to track down a mystery.

	On November 7th, I installed a kernel with these options (not including
devices and controllers):

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I686_CPU"
ident           NATGATEWAY
maxusers        32
options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI
device
options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing
options         SYSVSHM
options         IPFIREWALL

	On December 6, the last log showed a reboot.  Someone kicked out the power.

	On December 7, I started using sharity-light.

	On January 29, I started using Sharity1.07.

	Everything was working until February 1st.  Someone from the telco was
playing with our dsl line and the machine was no longer able to network
properly.  I restarted the machine.  Everything worked fine.  Later, I was
no longer able to get Sharity to work.  I tried upgrading to Sharity.1.08
but it wouldn't work until I recompiled the kernel with "options NFS."

	This is the mystery: why was sharity working before without NFS support.
All that happened, based on the logs, was that there was a couple of
restarts.  The kernel config file's date is November 7th.  The kernel's date
was November 7th.  Sharity's programmer says that I must've had NFS support
otherwise it would not have worked.  Is there anyway, with my kernel config
above that limited NFS support was included that could explain how Sharity
worked and then all of the sudden stopped working?

TIA

john.