Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 02:53:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      <moses@flyingcroc.com>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: httpd will not start

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Chip Wiegand wrote:

> I sent a message a bit ago but found the answer on a web site.
> Now when I enter ./apachectl start I get the following returned:
> httpd could not be started
> When I run ./apachectl configtest it returns Syntax OK
> What could be wrong?
> Chip W
> Please respond by email, my isp doesn't carry this newsgroup. :-(
> chip@wiegand.org

CC:'ing the list as well, in case anyone else has this problem.

While apachectl is a great script for testing your apache configuration,
the one thing that it won't check for is if the log files can be created.
If, for example, you have:

TransferLog /usr/local/www/server/logs/access_log

but /usr/local/www/server/logs/ doesn't exist, it will tell you that the
syntax is ok, but it won't be able start apache, and the error log (if it
can be created) isn't much help either.

Make sure the paths leading up to all of your log files exists.

Hope this helps,

Moses

--
Moses Leslie