Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:55:45 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Ensel Sharon <user@dhp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static linked python from the ports tree - possible ?

Ensel Sharon wrote:
> For a variety of reasons (long, hard to explain) I need a static python
> binary - with no external libraries.
>
> I know how to do this from source.  However, I would like to install from
> the ports tree - what line can I run inside of /usr/ports/lang/python to
> get a totally static, standalone python binary ?
>
> Thanks.

So, how do you do it from source? Perhaps you can apply changes to
lang/python/Makefile to do the same steps (and then submit a PR with the
changes so others can benefit).  Checkout
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

Alternately, doing a make install really does the following: make fetch,
make extract, make patch, make configure, make build, then make install.
You could manually run each make step and apply any needed changes in
between steps, but that would make upgrading hard.

HTH,
Micah