Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:38:47 -0500
From:      John <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java port

Update: December 12, 2004,
The jdk146 port has been updated and is no longer forbidden and I
successfully upgraded from jdk1.4.2p6_6 in the following way:
As of Dec 12, 2004 - this may change tomorrow or in the next 10 minutes,
such is the nature of ports ;)
- cvsup all ports.
- installed portupgrade port, check it's man page for proper use and
cautions.

- loaded linprococfs which was required on the first build.
# kldload linprocfs
# mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc

- get the proper port name with 'portversion', first time may take a
while and may fail on error. see note on portupgrade at freshports.org
for solution.
# portversion -v
- run portupgrade, i prefer to do just jdk by itself to see how it goes.
  I had not removed the files from the /usr/ports/distfiles and used the
same jdk and bsd patch files. Earlier jdk versions will require
downloads first.
# portupgrade -v <jdk port name> -l <logfile>

Everything compiled fine and I did not hit the 'hotspot' error as in the
first build.

- I then upgrade the rest of the of the outdated ports with:
# portupgrade -arR -l <logfile>
Thats your choice of course.