Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:12:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: audio from atapi cd -- patches for 2.2.6

Luigi Rizzo said:
>If things follow the regular timing, it will be some time before
>your driver will hit -stable. In the meantime it would not be a
>bad idea to commit my patches, they are not intrusive and they are
>useful even if you don't use them because they show the capabilities
>of your atapi drive in the probe (so one can quickly test if some
>unknown drive is able to read audio tracks).

Luigi,

Your patches froze my CD drive up completely, as in I couldn't even mount
it.  I didn't investigate it much at the time since I don't really need to
audio-ripping stuff.  I guess if it's likely to become part of the kernel
I'd better try and figure out what's going on....

The CD drive is a nasty Creative 4x (model number something like CD420E)
that came with my sound card.  I doubt very much that it's fully ATAPI
compliant.

I had a little trouble compiling with your patches too -- something needed
a definition of HZ that wasn't available.  I ended up setting it to
whatever is defined in /sys/conf/param.c which might not be the right thing
to do.  This was with straight-off-the-CD 2.2.6 sources.

Anyway, I'll try it out again and post some more details on exactly how it
breaks.

	Scott.