Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:34:38 +0000
From:      User Tysken <tysken@post.utfors.se>
To:        Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM on multiple virutal X screens ( ALT-F9,ALT-F10...)

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:09:24AM +1030, Malcolm Kay wrote:

> Noticed this, out of curiosity decided to try it.
> OK.

This list is a good place to lurk on and read the topics that find intresting.

> Then forgot second X display was installed and
> next time the machine was started did not enter ALT-F10.
> Then on:
> $ shutdown -h now
> the machine hung with some complaint from fetchmail
> which I have running as a daemon. Only response was from the
> power switch.
>
> On rebooting and waiting for fsck the sam sequence of events recurred.
>
> Disabled second X display and problem disappeared.
>
> Coincidence? Seems unlikely!
> Had nothing to do with fetchmail? Possible.

I don't know but properbly not but I have notice that Nvidias own drivers does not seem to like more than one X display. If i change between my virtual xdm screens then xdm trys to start again and again. But at least one virtual xdm login screen the one that I first log on to. Offcourse I want to too work but It does not seem to function to one hundred procent.

I have get it working one time but then when I loged out on the one of the virtual xdm screens that one died. But Im thinkning of changing back to X own nvidia drivers because they seem to be more stable for me. And the do not crash the hole system. But then I can't get movies of getting fast enought to watch but perhaps its only an config error or using the right video output. I also have to use software rendring for GL/glx etc and that is not fast.

Mvh Mattias Björk