Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:31:10 +0400
From:      "Artem Tepponen" <temik@egartech.com>
To:        "Jefferson Harlough" <xx_jayrod_x@hotmail.com>, <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Package system flaws?

Yes, but it won't be zip. Major benefit of tar+bzip2 (or tar.gz)
comes from the fact that compression algorithm (can) see all the
files together and can use dictionary between files as opposed
to per file dictionary in rar. Eslimates lie around 10-15%
archive size reduction.

> I'd have to ask that package size is considered as a very=20
> important part of the decision, and hopefully a system that=20
> allows for a high degree of compression will be used in the end.

Sitting on a modem link I definitely agree.

Artem Tepponen