Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:14:26 -0400
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hp or Toshiba laptop?

Sorry for using somebody else's reply to reply to OP as I had
deleted the OP.

in message <1157643522.667.6.camel@localhost>, wrote Joel Dahl
thusly...

> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 08:38 -0400, Christian Lopez de Castilla
> Wagner wrote:
>
> > I'm looking into buying a new laptop in the next week
> > Toshiba Tecra A6-SP3032 (Core Duo 1.83GHz, Intel PRO/Wireless
> > 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

I happen to be currently using Toshiba Satellite A105-40xx (work
computer), which cost around $800-900 from Circuit City or Best Buy
(US chain stores).  After few weeks of usage, the keyboard turns out
to be rather crappy.  When i type -- my typing speed is around 25
wpm & not much of a touch typist -- the keys (more likely the
spring) whine as if they need lubrication & have become rather
loose.

On another Toshiba Satellite, about a year old (as overheard from a
coworker; I used it for 2-3 months), Fn key has become so
ridiculously loose it behaves like a loose leaf paper covering a
sauce pan.

So, be mindful of Tecra's keyboard.

OTOH, two year old IBM Thinkpad T42's ($1600) keyboard is working
wonderfully; five old Dell Inspiron 5000e's (a thousand some dollars
at the time) keyboard is still better than above mentioned new
Toshiba Satellite.

  - Parv