Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:40:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new rc.network6 and rc.firewall6

Garrett Rooney writes:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 04:49:40AM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > Well, would not be this stepping aside from BSD startup sequence, which we
> > all know and love?  Having dozens of small files instead of pair of
> > big ones always frustrates me when I have to work with linux.
> and at the very least, with a number of smaller files, assuming they're
> named well, you can find what you're looking for faster, and not have
> to dig though the one monolithic script to find out how sometihng is
> working.

Well, we *already* have over a dozen /etc/rc.* files on -current.  And
we *don't* have the advantage of a consistent interface to control all
the functions in /etc/rc. If you break things up, then if you need to
restart the mail server, just go "/etc/rc.d/sendmail restart". dhcpd?
"/etc/rc.d/sendmail/dhcpd restart". Etc.

Of course, for consistency ports should be tweaked to use have the
same provides/requires setup, and use rc.subr instead of the homegrown
hacks.

Which brings up the real downside of doing this - you have to parse
rc.subr and rc.conf for *every* one of those scripts.

	<mike