Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:42:09 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't get 132 columns in single-user mode

When I boot single-user mode (4.2 RELEASE) I can't get vidcontrol to
set the 132x43 mode, which works fine otherwise.  I get:

	vidcontrol: cannot set videomode: Invalid argument

All the usual vidcontrol commands work but "vidcontrol 132x43".

I tried manually loading the font files two different ways, figuring
something like rc.conf wasn't being parsed, but it didn't help:

	vidcontrol -f 8x16 swiss-8x16
	vidcontrol -f 8x16 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/swiss-8x16.fnt

I hear that the TERM variable being set to cons25 may be part
of the problem, but I'm not sure how to change this in single-user
mode.  Suggestions appreciated.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium