Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:36:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd redial script

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, jonathan michaels wrote:

> > > it may do teh job in ppp ... but will it work as well in pppD ?
> > >
> > > just a thought ?
> >
> > Nope - your script is good, I just thought I'd take the opportunity
> > to ``mention'' a feature of ppp ;-)
>
> drats, just when i thought i'd found a way to scare up some
> support fro pppd.
>
> ther are not many of us but we are out thier .. sorta grin,
> thinks i.

I'm a devoted fan myself. ;-) I much prefer the command syntax and general
operation of pppd, although soon I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
install mpd (or does the base user-land ppp support multilink these
days?). pppd will still be used for everything else, of course...

                                    - - -

I am also working on something which may be of interest for ISPs, a router
on a floppy similar to PicoBSD. However, the floppy only contains enough
functionality to boot and fetch an image file via HTTP, which contains
most of the utilities and applications. Everything runs from a 5Mb MFS
(memory) partition. Because it fetches the image from an external
(effectively "unlimited size") media, it's more flexible than PicoBSD as I
don't need to try to solve the jigsaw puzzle of functionality versus size.

So far I've included:

 * inbound telnet
 * fetch (FTP/HTTP)
 * outbound FTP
 * ping/traceroute/netstat/arp
 * ipfw with dummynet included
 * pppd (with the script that started this thread)
 * syslogd to remote machine
 * reboot (PicoBSD suggests I do C-A-D, which is difficult remotely! :) )
 * MRTd (experimental routing daemon w/ RIP and BGP4)
 * gated (routing daemon, core dumps at the moment, probably because
there's insufficient RAM in my machine...this will be the preferred
routing daemon if I get it working)
 * dhcpd
 * top/uptime/ps
 * various utils for sh scripts like awk, [, expr etc

The machine I am testing it on is a P166 with 16Mb RAM, although it needs
an upgrade to 32Mb as memory is a little low after loading the
larger-than-usual kernel, which includes 5Mb MFS.

Once I get it tested and set up I'll probably start work on a dialin
server version that authenticates via NIS/YP from another server.

One thing I'm stuck on which someone may be able to help me with, what is
required for ps to show the commandlines? The names are displayed but not
the parameters, eg:

   30  p0  Ss     0:00.00  (sh)
   54  p0  I      0:00.00  (sh)
   73  p0  I      0:00.00  (pppd)
   82  p0  R+     0:00.00  (ps)

Is /kernel required for this? It's a 0 byte file in this implementation
simply to stop some utils like netstat complaining that it doesn't exist.
If I increase the size of the MFS partition I can include /kernel but
essentially it's just a waste of 1.2Mb of RAM...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260