Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:25:59 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Veeshnuw@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Question?

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 at 20:18 SAST, Veeshnuw@aol.com wrote:

> I have been running Red Hat Linux for about 6 months now.  Not all that
> familiar with unix, but can get around pretty well.

Great stuff.

> I am interested in using FreeBSD.
>
> What are the advantages of the FreeBSD over redhat?  Will I be losing any
> options?

Well, if your sole purpose is to play around and learn things, then FreeBSD
won't give you _that_ many advantages over Linux (for now).

Suffice it to say that FreeBSD is aimed at the server room, and can therefore
come across as a very serious OS bent on doing some real Internet business.
Linux, on the other hand, seems to be aiming more and more for the power
user's desktop, and therefore you can expect to find all sorts of nifty
little end-user apps for it.

I'd say just install FreeBSD at some point and play with it.  (You can even
set up a dual-boot machine, if you want.)  IMHO, Linux can take you a long
way along the learning curve, but FreeBSD can take you further.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559