Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:02:56 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Pete Gontier <kokorozashi@gontier.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iDOT iBox Slim PC

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:55:12AM -0800, Pete Gontier wrote:
> I found a page for the chip set for this machine:
>=20
>     http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_mini_itx_spec.jsp?motherboardId=
=3D21
>=20
> My reading of:
>=20
>     http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/5.0R/hardware-i386.html
>=20
> ...does not indicate goodness.
>=20
> The OpenBSD story is slightly better; it claims to support ATA.
>=20
> It seems not entirely unreasonable to assume that many functions of the c=
hip
> set are clones, more or less, of popular chips, but without getting my ha=
nds
> on the machine so I can boot from CD and run dmesg, I'm wary. And in any
> case a clone still must demonstrate its quality.
>=20
> Maybe it's time to break down and check into Linux.

I really don't know much about the different EPIA models, but check
this page:

http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSD/

And any related threads on -hackers (in the archives). Matthew Dillon
was busy with a motherboard from the same line at least.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
"...I like logs. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I've been known to keep
logs for 30 months at a time (generally when I thought I was rotating them
daily, but was actually rotating them once a month)."
	-- Michael Lucas, in Big Scary Daemons article 'Controlling Bandwidth'

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4

--VrqPEDrXMn8OVzN4--