Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 14:35:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      User Measl <measl@greeves.mfn.org>
To:        measl@greeves.mfn.org, tomdean@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd/lpr problems

The printer is a Panasonic something-or-other, Hewlett-Packard
Laserjet 3p clone.  It's NOT postscript.  It's also quite happy with
straight ascii, as I said...

The filter is a simple (~5 lines) c program that reads stdin and
writes to stdout, except for appending a cr after every lf.  Also,
as I said, this works fine too, *provided* I'm printing directly
to /dev/lpt0, and not pointing my output at lpr...

While we're on the printers topic, I have another box (FBSD2.2.5)
that works great, although the lpr code also seems incompatible
with this printer...  My first thought was to disable the burst
headers, since straight ascii seems ok, but I cant get the "sh"
to actually "take"...  I see that the default is "false" (per man).
Using that as my basis, I have tried:

	sh=TRUE
	sh=true
	sh=1
	sh=0 (just in case FBSD had that weird 1/0 reversal thing)

Of course, these commands were wrapped in colons on both sides, and
since I am mentioning it here, they (obviously) obviously didn't
work - no matter how i set sh, those burst pages keep on coming!

Anyone have any experience with the sh param?  How should I set it
to be "true"???

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org