Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:43:10 -0500
From:      David Leimbach <leimbacd@bellsouth.net>
To:        Bob Collins <bob@pineypl.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DCOPserver and kde 2

On Sunday 29 July 2001 15:13, Bob Collins wrote:
> This question has been asked before and received no answer of
> significant help, so I shall pose it again in a different way.

I just went through some issues with DCOP so I will try to help.  :)

> I do not want to reinstall the system, as we know that is only a
> reasonable solution for one well-known OS! ;)
Don't then :)

Try checking the existence of the following:
/tmp
drwxrwxrwt   2 root  wheel  1024 Jul 29 09:06 .ICE-unix
drwx------   3 dave  wheel   512 Jul 29 12:28 kde-dave
drwx------   2 dave  wheel  1536 Jul 29 15:31 ksocket-dave
drwx------   2 dave  wheel   512 Jul 29 09:06 mcop-dave

The dave files are for the users named dave :).
Note the sticky bit on the .ICE-unix directory... this is pretty important :).
The directory is used to store DCOP socket connections from users.

Each user's home directory will have the following:

15:40:06] -> ls -la | grep DCOP
lrwxr-xr-x   1 dave  wheel       39 Jul 21 18:05 .DCOPserver_mutt.home.net ->
/home/dave/.DCOPserver_mutt.home.net_:0
-rw-r--r--   1 dave  wheel       43 Jul 29 09:06 .DCOPserver_mutt.home.net_:0

You should be able to just delete these two files as the startkde program
should re-generate them for you.

I had to mess with both of the above to get KDE back up and running after I
accidentally clobbered them myself.

> Thanks for your time
>  -Bob

No prob! :)