Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:16:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 3.x -> 4.0 STABLE unneccessarily hard

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, David Schwartz wrote:

> 	Upgrading 3.x->4.0 STABLE was made harder than it had to be because one
> program that is statically linked (objcopy or objdump or something like
> that) was trying to statically link to the system libc.a instead of the
> temporary libc.a. The system libc.a may not have 'asprintf' in it, bombing
> the make.

I haven't heard of anyone experiencing this failure mode before. What
value of 'x' do you have? asprintf has been in libc since 1996:

revision 1.1
date: 1996/05/27 10:49:42;  author: peter;  state: Exp;
branches:  1.1.2;  1.1.4;
Add an implementation of the gnu-ish asprintf() and vasprintf().  They are
not based on gpl'ed code, just prototype and usage.  I'm not 100% certain
they behave the same while the system is in trouble (eg: malloc() failing)
but in those circumstances all bets would be off anyway.

Kris

----