Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:30:13 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        frankd@yoda.fdt.net, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP C1752-66500 cheapo SCSI card

Bill Paul stands accused of saying:

> > >Anybody know if this cheapo card will work with the nca driver?
> > >The card I have originally came with an HP Scanjet IIc scanner:
> > >it's an 8-bit ISA card with an NCR 53C400 chip. The board is very

"It should".

> > >simple: there's a grand total of two ICs, plus one 4 bit switchblock.

What's the other IC?  One is obviously the 53c400 snotbox, the other is
presumably the bus interface...

> Thanks, but that doesn't appear to be it. I managed to find a copy of
> the Windoze deskscan software, and included were a couple of utilities.
> One of them, called swtchset.exe, tells me that the switch settings are
> for what it calls a 'ROM address.' The possible settings, according to
> the program, are DC000, CC000, D0000, D4000 and D8000. I set the board
> for DC000 and verified that the deskscan sjii.sys driver can find it.
> (This is with Lose95.)

"ROM address"?  Is there space on the card for a 28 or 32-pin DIP?
If the switchblock has 4 bits, you've only listed 5 memory addresses;
is that one for 'all off', and one for each bit on, or are there other
combinations?

> There's also a program called findport.exe which just prints:
>
> Port 280 is available.
> I'm not really sure what this means.

I suspect that it means that the card's base address can be soft-set.